Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Taiwan Day 8

Because Charlotte and Connor are tired of me, they ran off somewhere this morning and I didn't see them again until nighttime. Got over it pretty quickly though, and decided I should probably make some new friends. My new friends and I decided to try out the Vegetarian Buddha Paradise which was pretty decent.

Just kidding. None of these people are new, haha.
Highlight of the lunch: Logan didn't know what a lychee was, and was very confused about how to eat it.


Spent the rest of the day adventuring with these two goons. I can't figure out which pair of roommates hates/loves each other more, Logan and Eric, or these two, haha.

A day filled with incessant sass
We decided to go to 西门 and saw some cool temples, buildings, and a lot lot lot of shops.

This temple was sandwiched between two modern buildings, which yet again is making me realize how on point our second-year textbook was, since we had a whole chapter about 保留-ing 有中国特色的建筑 and other things that had to do with modern/traditional architecture haha. Shawn and Daniel and I also tried to speak in Chinese to each other throughout the day, which was really good for me since their Chinese is so 地道 :P 

I needed a new pair of earbuds, which was 非常 convenient since Ximen has an entire electronics section. Shawn was able to get me a discount because he looks/speaks like a native, bwahah. Another great thing about hanging out with people's whose Chinese is much better than mine.

My beautiful new 便宜 headphones
Found some stores entirely dedicated to fruit, which I guess just goes to show how much more Taiwanese 重视 their fruit, probably because it is so delicious here.

Fruit for days
Then we went to one of the many underground malls, and came across Eslite, which is apparently a high-end bookstore, so of course we had to go in. I didn't really see how it was any different from normal bookstores. Maybe more expensive? But still had a lot of stuff, including manga and Chinese translations of English magazines.



Daniel bought this really intense Chinese book which is apparently some kind of classic piece of literature, that he can not only read in Chinese (in traditional characters too...) but has also memorized?! Yeah he is very 厉害... 


Explored more of this mysterious underground mall...

Do I look like Shawn? hehe

Not coming soon enough :P
Decided to check out Taipei 101, which I have up until now thought was the same thing as Taipower. Taipei 101 used to be the tallest building in the world. Taipower is an energy source. I don't know how I mixed those two up... -__-


So the inside of this building is ridiculous. Apparently the higher up you go, the more high-end the stores are. Where we entered, which was maybe the third or fourth floor, there were stores like Chanel, Rolex, Hermes, CK, etc. So clearly none of us were trying to buy anything on the higher floors. What are they even selling up there?! Probably cars or something. 

Instead, we bought something we could afford - ice cream!! There was a buy one get one free deal, so we ended up getting way more than is healthy to eat.


Explored the mall some more then went home. I took a nap then had dinner with Khan. The place we went to was really good, but made me glad that I'm not vegetarian or have any food allergies. We both ordered a vegetarian noodle dish that most definitely had meat in it. Good thing neither of us are vegetarian (Khan just can't eat pork) so we were like meh whatever and ate it anyways.


Afterwards we got more bubble tea, but this one is a really famous shop in Taipei, but the bubble tea actually had a coffee-ish flavor so I'm not sure how I feel about it. I slowly feel myself turning into a bubble tea snob...

The most famous face in Gongguan
Connor and Charlotte finally came home and brought Logan and Eric to hang out a bit so I guess they actually like me. 哈哈

No comments:

Post a Comment